Friday, August 27, 2010

Should Missions Have A Personal Mission Statement

This past few years I have seen a trend where stakes, wards, and missions have developed mission statements.  I am not sure the extent that they go to to solicit stakeholders input.  Most have a top down approach.  It is harder to get missionaries or leaders to buy in to a mission statement that they had little involvement in formulating.  The fact that there are few stakes, wards, or even missions with individual mission statements is interesting in and of itself.  I wonder if it takes a business or educational mindset to buy in to the process.


As a library administrator I have been involved at least five times in preparing strategic plans that included mission statements.  Half the time we actually used the documents to inform our practice and the other half it just was done as an exercise because someone higher up wanted us to do it.

One one occasion we paid a consultant thousands of dollars who came in and solicited the input of all major stakeholders from staff to patrons to community leaders and members to university administration and faculty.  When you get the greatest amount of participation then people have a sense of ownership in the process. On another occasion we looked beyond the micro level (institution) to the macro level (how we impacted the community).  There are various ways and levels that can influence a mission statement and how it is put in to practice.

I think that missions should employ a similar method to develop mission statements.  They need to solicit input from the missionaries, the mission leaders, the stake and ward leaders within the mission, recent converts, and even outside people such as ministers and civic leaders.  It is the actual process that helps the group to formulate and internalize their mission statement.

I don't know the process that the California Santa Rosa Mission used in developing their mission statement but at least it is an example of an existing mission statement.  It helps to have models in which to develop better mission statements.

President Jonathon Wayner Bunker shares the following with us:

The California Santa Rosa Mission Statement

California Santa Rosa Mission
Mission Statement

As a missionary in the California Santa Rosa Mission I will be known by investigators, members, and fellow missionaries as a:

Thoughtful, detailed, and effective PLANNER.
Obedient, trusted, and challenging TESTIFIER of the Lord Jesus Christ.
Courageous, energetic, and tireless FINDER of the Lord’s sheep.
Selfless UNIFIER who possess humility, meekness, and Christ-like love (Charity) for all.
Willing, valiant, and enduring COVENANT-KEEPER.


As a missionary in the California Santa Rosa Mission I will faithfully learn and keep all Mission guidelines, rules, and policies with exactness. I will also with faith steadfastly pray, work, and strive to consistently achieve all the Standards of Excellence throughout my mission which are:

10 contacts daily
2 new investigators weekly
2 investigators with a baptismal date weekly
2 investigators attend Sacrament Meeting weekly
20 lessons taught weekly
15 lessons taught to investigators weekly
50% of weekly lessons taught to investigators with a member present
Baptize monthly


As a result of my personal and companionship commitments, the California Santa Rosa Mission will be Unified In Purpose with Heavenly Father, the Savior Jesus Christ, and the Holy Ghost as outlined in 3 Nephi 11 in baptizing souls and preparing people to receive the Savior at His second coming. I add my name as a witness that I will give all of my time as a full time missionary of Jesus Christ in accomplishing His errand and bringing souls unto Him. As a result of my personal and companionship commitments, The California Santa Rosa Mission will abide and follow all the principles, teachings, and examples as provided in Preach My Gospel and I will consecrate and dedicate myself in serving with an eye single to His glory. I will strive to magnify not only my calling, but also lift and love all those around me.


__________________________________
Name
It is really up the each mission president or their leaders over them to implement a personal mission statement.  I think that more missions should consider come up with a unique mission statement since helps the missionaries strive for excellence by giving them a specific focus and direction.  I am just not sure that every mission president has the experience to implement one.

1 comment:

George Denton said...

With new revelation coming from the Brethren at any given time, and depending on how you structure your mission statement, it could well be a moving (ever changing) target!