Thursday, January 13, 2011

Missionary Life: What's not to Love?

On St. Patrick’s Day 2010 I never expected my life to change so drastically for the good, but it did, for that was the day I entered the mission field in Cherry Hill, New Jersey to become a missionary for the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints.  I grew up and had missionaries in and out of my home my whole life and yet I had never understood how missionaries live a life so different from the rest of the world.
I left home leaving behind my cell phone, my social networks, friends, family, and basically everything an average young adult lives for.  I left it all for 18 months only for something better.  Missionary work was a shock.  I was definitely not used to waking up at 6:30 every morning and working all day until 9:30 at night.  I never thought talking to people and inviting people to follow the Savior Jesus Christ all day could be so exhausting and stressful.  However, I have learned as a missionary how to find true joy in this life.   I have found what it means to be truly happy; the gospel makes me happy and I get to share the gospel of Jesus Christ with people each and every day.  
Doing missionary work is an adventure itself.  We have the craziest schedule.   We work all and by 10:30 every night I am exhausted.  Never in my life have I been so excited to fall into my bed and go to sleep.  Being a missionary has been the hardest and most stressful time in my life, but also the happiest time in my life.  As a missionary I have seen so many people change their lives and commit to being better and following Jesus Christ.  Seeing people change is what brings me the most happiness in this life. 

Four months ago my companion and I were given the opportunity of all opportunities concerning missionary work.  We were asked to help participate as online missionaries.  It was weird at first being able to have the world at my fingertips again, but it has been an interesting experience using the internet to do missionary work.   It has been such a blessing to be able to keep in contact with more people and to find more people to share the gospel with because so many people are connected to the world through the computer.  I love being able to invite others all over to “Come unto Christ”.  Being an online missionary has allowed me to talk to more people and share what I believe with anyone who wants to listen.  I just love being a missionary for my Heavenly Father!



Sister Jac Beckwith

Pennsylvania Philadelphia Mission

Check out my blog: Cheer Up Your Heart

No comments: