Sunday, May 3, 2009

Blog of the Month: Missionary Preparation Blog Launches

Jimmy Smith has launched a new blog Mormon Missionary Preparation dedicated to helping LDS missionaries learn about Missionary Preparation. I wanted to add my support to the site like Larry Richman, one of his techie buddies did. The site is a graphically pleasing offering with YouTube videos and brief descriptions on missionary topics. I recognize a few of the pictures since I have them on my Extravaganza Missionary Prophet slideshow. I think there is plenty of room in the blogosphere for such a graphically attractive site. I hope in his appeal for guest bloggers he gets a few takers.

So far he has categorized it under four topics: A Missionary Work, How to Become an Effective Missionary, How to Prepare for a Mission, and I Hope They Call Me on a Mission.

He says about himself:

My name is Jimmy Smith. I am a member of the Mormon Church, and a returned missionary. I served my in the Rosario Argentina Mission from 1995 to 1997. I now work for the LDS Church and am the Web Analytics Product Manager all Church Web sites. In my career prior to landing at the Church, I was a Marketing Analyst for FedEx in Memphis, TN and prior to that I was a Software Engineer for Motorola in Fort Lauderdale, FL....

I make no claim to be an expert in the area of sharing the gospel or preparing missionaries for the work they will do. But I have felt impressed by the Spirit to start this Web site. The site is geared toward future missionaries and is designed to help them prepare physically and spiritually. I want the site to be informative, uplifting and interactive. If you have any questions or comments about the site, please use the contact form to get in touch with me. I particularly hope the young men and women preparing to go on missions will use this contact form to ask me questions.

This site is not an official publication of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. The views expressed here are the opinions of the author and do not necessarily reflect the views of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.

I find it fascinating that the church does not officially sanction his site. I also notice that using his employment is a way of giving his site a semi-offical ring of tacit approval by the Church. I like to see the LDS techie types engaged in such pursuits. There is always room for them in the Mormon Blogernacle. Welcome to the missionary themed blogs.

No comments: