Thursday, November 25, 2010

From at the Door to On the Screen: Elder Victor Moxley LDS Online Missionary

After breaking my foot while serving in Slovenia, a small country in Eastern Europe, I was no longer able to go door to door, as most Mormon missionaries do.  Complications arose and it became clear that it would be months to years before I'd be able to spend a great deal of time on my feet.  Heartbroken, I packed my bags and prepared for my return home.

Amid my disappointment about leaving Slovenia, which I had expected to stay in for more than a year, I turned to my Heavenly Father, and increased in prayer.  I also studied in the Doctrine and Covenants more vigorously, and some verses stuck out to me.

 Behold, ye are little children and ye cannot bear all things now; ye must grow in grace and in the knowledge of the truth.

  Fear not, little children, for you are mine, and I have overcome the world, and you are of them that my Father hath given me; [D&C 50:40-41]


Two days before my flight, I received a call from my mission president.  There was a special assignment I could serve in as a missionary in the Missionary Training Center.  He didn't know hardly anything about it, what I'd be doing, or how what would be expected of me there.  I bravely accepted it as an invitation to put faith in the Lord and continue serving.

When I arrived at the Missionary Training Center, and began working with the other missionaries, it was an eye opener.  The missionaries there reached out and shared the gospel.  They had no physical boundaries either.  Nearly any one in any part of the world, with access to a computer could have the blessing of restored truth from one of Jesus Christ's representatives.  I had no idea that there had been full-time missionaries serving the Lord in that unusual capacity for more than a year.

Before my mission, I was a novice on the computer, especially when it came to online communications.  The Lord really did have plans for me to grow, and to bear more through his strength.  When I've come in contact online with someone who has a friend who is ready for answers, I've been able to contact them within minutes.  No need at all to travel and wait for the spark to cool.

With love,

Elder Victor Moxley

Referral Center Mission Provo MTC (LDS Online Missionary)

No comments: