Monday, March 28, 2011

Called to Serve...in Cyberspace


As a full time missionary for the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, I get to experience a little bit of everything. No two days are exactly the same. Although every day includes some listening and teaching, gospel study and discussion, the people and places are always changing. From washing dishes in a smokey trailers to sharing scriptures with strangers in public restrooms (yes I've done that) to watching people I love come to know our Savior and be baptized, each day seems to hold a new adventure. The most recent adventure in my missionary life, however, is internet proselyting.



When I first heard about this new program I was extremely hesitant. Facebook and Blogger being used as missionary tools? These have always been missionary no-no's. It felt so strange to get on Facebook for the first time when for 8 months it had been against the rules. I quickly realized that it was a much better idea to start a new Facebook account for life in Tennessee rather than use my pre-mission account because it felt like my worlds were colliding!


After a month or two of experimenting with this new method of missionary work, however, it is really starting to come together. People keep asking us, "What do missionaries do on Facebook and Blogger?" That is a good question, and the answer is exactly the same as our purpose outlined in Preach My Gospel; we "invite others to come unto Christ by helping them receive the restored gospel through faith in Jesus Christ and His atonement, repentance, baptism, receiving the gift of the Holy Ghost, and enduring to the end." We are simply using a new conduit. Rather than going to strangers' houses and knocking on doors, we are publishing our thoughts and feelings about the gospel online and allowing others to come to us! So far, it has been proven to be quite effective.


As an online missionary, I am able to reach a broader spectrum of people, and can share my testimony with many people at one time. I love being able to post my thoughts and feelings and favorite scriptures online and read the responses I get. It has also helped me to continue sharing spiritual experiences with people from previous areas I've served in. Although online work is new and different and sometimes challenging, it is also very exciting. I love being a part of this adventure in progress.


"Behold, I am a disciple of Jesus Christ, the Son of God. I have been called of him to declare his word among his people, that they might have everlasting life." -3 Nephi 5:13

No comments: